Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Last Band of 2006

Today was the last band practice for 2006, and if today was an indication, we don't have a band for 2007. Having said that, there have been a few lean winters in the 15 years we have been on the road, and many of them have ended in great summers of fun and performance. This one should be no different.

A very enthusiastic and dedicated group of people has been coming regularly all autumn, and many recently learned some new music and assisted with the successful Chrismas concert. Thanks to you all for your drive and commitment. We know that we have members at a distance who are commited to being there when the roads are clear again, and we'll be waiting.

When Christmas and Hogmany are over, I will be in touch with each of you—looking for your commitment, or your uniform and instruments. Think it over and decide what you'll be doing, because if you live fairly close at hand, "I'll see you in May" isn't going to cut it. You can't be in a Grade 2 band without commiting to the program, and we can't survive at this level without a stronger commitment, especially from those players in Regina and area.

I'm looking forward to playing the new music in 2007, and I want to do it with the best band as we can assemble. In the meantime, best wishes to all for a safe and happy holiday season.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A sad blog for piping in the city of Regina. The junior bands must be united. New pipers and drummers must be encouraged in their piping and drumming. If we are not careful, the situation in Regina could soon be like Saskatoon. How many years was it that Saskatoon did not have an adult competitive pipe band?

Iain MacDonald said...

Thanks for your post. Had lots of time to reflect, and really, this is the nature of pipe bands everywhere. Read www.pipesdrums.com and you'll read about lots of bands who have slipped away recently.

However, this one isn't. Stay tuned.

Your point about the junior bands is excellent. In September 2005, we made a proposal to the Fraser Pipe Band for a 12-month trial of combining the bands at no cost to either band. The combined band would be called "Fraser Pipe Band [Conservatory of Performing Arts]." The concept was to try it out, see if we could bring all the kids together into a stronger, more competitive unit.

The Fraser Pipe Band was not interested, so we both go on separately. One strong junior program makes a lot of sense.

Anonymous said...

As I reflect on the various CRPB blogs over the past year, I recognize a couple of things. Firstly, that one year ago I couldn't even have told you what a blog was and now I find it's a brilliant mechanism for staying connected with the band in a unique way. I like understanding often the philosophical perspectives of the band members and of the broader pipe band community.I found it to be a valuable tool for friends and family when we were in Scotland to have up-to-date accounts of our activities. The thing that drives me absolutely wild, however, are the anonymous comments. I would prefer that all responders identify themselves. Would it change their comments? Not sure, but in the meantime, I've had to submit as anonymous because I can't remember my initial blogger identity. So, maybe I'm just not ready for this whole blog thing afterall. Anyway, on the band front, I am always optimistic and enthusiastic.
Happy New Year,
Barb

Anonymous said...

I think you should update your blog more often. I like it.

Iain MacDonald said...

That's a great point. I will.